STEM Tips and Resources for Women in Tech (POC: Sara Cody)
- As of 2021, women only accounted for 27% of employees in STEM fields (census.gov). This guide was made to spread awareness of the issue and the available resources to help women buck the trend. For those who ignore the gap, it presents women’s challenges in the industry. For women entrepreneurs looking to get into tech, it walks through how to found their own company, including finding a niche and accruing resources. The guide concludes with additional resources for women who are veterans or members of minority groups.
- You can find the guide here: https://www.fairviewmicrowave.com/t-tips-and-resources-for-women-in-tech.aspx
Museums and Learning Centers
Classes and Workshops
STEM Focused Summer Camps
- Venture Lab
- UTSA summer camps
- Trinity University computer camps
- Bits, Bytes and Bots
- Summer at the Academy
- The San Antonio Youth Code Jam
- FREE – St. Mary’s Robotics and JAVA camp
College & Career Resources
- GradSchoolHub has a list of scholarship opportunities currently accepting applications for students working toward a master’s degree in a STEM field, careers one can explore with a master’s degree in robotics engineering, and an overview of the curriculum prospective students can expect once enrolled in a program.
- Computer programmers play an integral role in the world of computer science, and working in computer science can be incredibly lucrative. The Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that computer programmers earned a median salary of around $82,280 in 2018, which is well above the national median salary. Economic trends have contributed to an increased demand for computer science majors, and the need for programmers is only projected to grow, so our team at ComputerScience.org compiled an open-use guide for students pursuing the field. It covers key hard and soft skills, the salary at each level of education, and a list of professional resources. Take a look here.
- A Handyman’s Guide to Tinkering Article by HomeAdvisor references for tinkering, electronics, coding, engineering, and simple machines.
- Data Science Guides Your Guide to a Data-Driven Career. We provide reliable information and expert recommendations for educational and career pathways in data science, data analytics, and business analytics.
- Coding Resources from Berkley University
- Coding Resources from Columbia University
- Ohio University K-12 STEM Lesson Plan Guide
- The Ultimate Stem Guide for Kids: An Amazing List of 239 Cool Stem Sites
- Bootcamps for Data Science – Learn About the Best Data Science Bootcamps & Differences Between a Degree
- How to choose the best tech for your college career. This link will lead your readers to a comprehensive piece about the best essential hardware for college students. This resource material also covers suggestions on tech tools for learning enhancement, tech priorities based on a student’s college major, student discount programs, and more.
- Varsity Tutors:
- Virtual School Day: Nearly 200 free, live K-12 classes available all day long intended to help parents fill their children’s day with enriched learning. Some popular classes are “Intro to Spanish for Kids”, “Coolest Women in History”, “Java Programming Basics”, and “The Story of Your Favorite Fairy Tales”. We have received exceptional ratings from thousands of parents and students.
- Virtual Summer Camps: Free half-day summer camps are a week long, with enrichment-based classes in subjects like foreign languages, chess, theater, coding, Minecraft, how to be a detective, photography and more. These live, interactive camps will be taught by expert instructors vetted through Varsity Tutors’ platform. We already have 300+ camps scheduled for the summer and 2,000 families per day signing up.
- Adaptive Diagnostic Assessments: Measure a student’s proficiency and identify strengths and weaknesses in hundreds of subjects. Get an effective learning plan along with free tools to improve.
- Varsity Learning Tools: More than 250,000 free practice problems in over 200 subjects. Also available as mobile applications.